I made the decision to start losing weight about a year after high school. I was incredibly focused for a while. I immediately started eating less/ better and jogged for 40 minutes every night. I ended up losing about 70 pounds within three months. I started college and my motivation slowly started slipping away as I became “too busy” or “too tired” to work out. Since then it’s been off and on.. trying to figure out what works best for my body and health. Not easy. However, I feel better as I’m letting go of the pressure. Balance balance balance.
I have tried several different smoothie recipes and eventually came up with this combination. I actually crave it in the morning now and I miss it when I have to make something else! It’s also a complete meal which is important for breakfast. I drink this about 4 or 5 days out of the week. If I really don’t have time or both my bananas and avocados aren’t ripe yet, I’ll make oatmeal. On the weekends I usually have eggs or something with a feeewww (a lot) more carbs… balance, guys.
what you’ll need:
- 1 banana
- big handful of spinach (about one cup)
- frozen berry mix (blackberries, blueberries, raspberries)
- 1 small or medium avocado
- water (I don’t measure the water, just fill it up so it’s aligned with everything else)
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 2 tablespoons raw shelled hemp seeds
- 1 teaspoon brain dust (totally optional and a personal choice)
*note: you can substitute the water with coconut water or almond milk.
how to make:
I use the Ninja single serve cup to make my smoothies because that’s just what I’m used to but if you have a larger container you can just toss everything in at once.
- Blend half the banana, half the avocado, half the amount of berries, spinach, and water.
- Pour into drinking glass (I used a large mason jar)
- Blend the other half of the banana, avocado, berries, and water.
- Pour into the drinking glass.
- Add the two tablespoons of chia seeds and 2 tablespoons of hemp seeds (or any super food of your choice) and stir up!
You should end up with a deep purple and a creamy consistency if the banana and avocado are ripe. I realize that we all like different things but this one is too good. Today I had it for lunch instead because my mama and I had eggs + toast in the morning!
I hope you have a swell week!